I have stopped updating this blog, please head to http://xiwenwendy.wixsite.com/xiwen-lunaticus ! :D

Monday 26 January 2015

Dogathon 2014 at UPM #throwbackpost

Dogathon 2014: Battlefield, In Dog We Trust.
















Dogathon is an annual event organised by veterinary students of University Putra Malaysia during the first semester of the year. How could I miss the biggest dog gathering in Malaysia? I became a volunteer this time instead of just being a visitor. Well I think the volunteers were somehow more than enough, so I was just being there to stand-by. Being a volunteer there means having less time to wander around, less photos were taken. Thus this post will be super short as I have explained the objectives of this event before last time (link at below) but I hope that photos below will bring back some memories!

Me as a part-time volunteer at the veterinary consultation! Saw some caring dog owners bringing their sweethearts over for a checkup. There was even one owner who noticed her dog had dandruff problem even though the dog was just a mongrel! It is really heart-warming to see people who are not bias towards dog breeds. 
Shades that blocked away some heat from the sun! The weather could get really hot during noon and doggies can get heat stroke easily. That is one of the reason that owners shouldn't leave their dogs in the car! 
There were water stations at various corners to rehydrate the dogs. I found that when big dogs drank from the basin after some exercises, the basin will be half-filled with their saliva. lol
What a sweetie~
Big dogs can be gentle too!
One of the most seen dog breeds in Dogathon. This one was without eye-brow make up, hahaha. Some owners drew eye brows for their Beagles! They looked really weird to me.
I fell in love with pugs (the once ugly dogs in my mind) after following Pewdiepie and Cutiepie on Youtube. 
As long as they are healthy and happy, breed doesn't matter!
You can always find 'gangs' of huski at Dogathon, either grey or brown. This one was quite small in size, there were gigantic ones!
Besides inserting chips for your dogs, it is good too if you have your dog wearing his name and your phone number when you take him for a walk or when he is allowed to go outside the house on its own. Just in case that he is lost someone can contact you immediately.
Dressing up for battlefield!
Owner and dog with matching outfit! How sweet is that?
The sweetest photo of the year! Can I get a kiss too?

Many people would prefer to keep pure breed dogs as pets because of their distinct features and desired personalities. To me, however, pure breed dogs are the results of human's modification on their genes for many many years so that they inherit the characteristics that the people want. They are beautiful and sweet, but they carry the genetic diseases with them which will explode when the time comes, when they get old. Because of their prices in the market, some people who breed the dogs in an inhumane way, making the dogs the breeding machines so that they can yield more puppies and more money. Thus, whichever kind of dogs that we have decided to keep, we should be a responsible owner since the birth of the dog to avoid contributing to the horrible industry. Adopt is a way better option since there are way too many strays wandering the streets looking for home.

Personally I have not owned any dog (except feeding the strays living at the alley), but I do have friends and relatives who owned these adorable furry friends. The dog might just be part of your life, but to him, you are his life. Cherish them, love them. =)


Dogathon 2015 coming soon! I can imagine the theme for the next event by seeing this trailer image. Will Dogathon 2015 break the record of 1216 dogs in Dogathon 2014? Lets make it happen!


















P/S: Ahh this post was supposed to be written and posted last year!!! Well last semester I was really inactive in blogging so I think I should write up more now instead of just rotting at home. This was the second Dogathon event that I have attended and you might be interested with the first one Dogathon Stoneage 2013. I included more details regarding the aims of this event in that post. Don't be surprised if you see familiar dog faces in that old post! (I just realised it as well, hahaha)

No comments:

Post a Comment